In today's world, where the competition is intense and cutting edge, it is very important to be able to adapt to the changes and be flexible. To run a business today, it may require you to upgrade yourself to the new and latest standards or maybe become a bit more tech-friendly.
It is very important for you to have the following features today at a workspace, or when going for an interview, etc.
1. Be Intellectually Flexible. This would mean that you need to have an open mind and have the ability to process the information in such a way that you can see the bigger picture.
2. You have to be receptive to changes happening around you. If you keep fighting the changes because it feels foreign to you, it won't be long that you might have to look for a new job. You must be able to adapt to the possible switch to technology for information sharing etc.
3. Today creativity is an important element that you need to have when working somewhere. It will get you far and give you esteemed recognition at your workplace.
4. You should be able to flexible in your working style. It is possible that you might need to work with a team that requires you to work with the new method and working style.
Now that you have an idea of what workplace adaptability and flexibility look like in real-time, it will be better for you to understand how important it is today. It basically just means, that you should be open to new ideas and concepts, or be able to work independently or in different teams, or if you are able to work with multiple projects.
In this article, we will outline the importance of adaptability and flexibility in the workplace. Whether you in the servicing industry and giving legal translation services in Dubai or you in the tangible product industry and selling toothpaste, adaptability, and flexibility is a requirement in all aspects and industries. Because it is the style of employees working more that helps business function and grow effectively.
The importance of adaptability to a workplace is an important skill that employers rank you upon. And if you score high on this element, you are more prone to promotions and bonuses than any other employees at your workplace.
You can further read below to understand the importance of workplace adaptability
1. You should be able to fit the culture of your workplace.
Cultural fit is something that employers look for in employees. If an employee is hired but is not able to adapt to the culture of the company, he/she is less likely to be productive.
For example, a few corporate cultures are based on the traditional standard, while others require you to be more fast-paced and tech-friendly. Every corporation has a different corporate culture and employers when hiring someone, double-check the potential candidates fit the corporate culture.
Even if you are not aware of the culture as an employee, if your nature is adaptable you can fit yourself very easily.
2. Willing to be adaptable increases your chances of being hired or being promoted.
If you do not show adaptability to a few changes happening around your corporation or you fight it hard, it’s a possibility that you might get fired. As a very recent example, the covid-19 pandemic enforced employee to be adaptable to the online culture, those who worked efficiently with the change stayed on, while many others were let go.
3. Adaptability ensures productivity.
If an employee is not able to adapt to the changes, he will more likely not be productive to the corporations. Every company, when making a major change in its working style or its software etc, holds training session which is supposed to help the employees adapt to the change.
If as an employee you do not respond well to the training or you are not able to comprehend the change, this will impact your productivity and therefore make you less efficient at work.
4. Adaptability is much stressed upon an element of the Job requirement.
Employers are very well aware that it is hard for people to accept changes and might challenge them or even be resistant to the change. A lot of corporations have gone through employees standing up against changes etc.
Therefore the avoid future hassle, today employers look for the adaptability trait at interviews. This is how important it is. Just like any degree certification or training certificate, adaptability is another element that has become a job requirement.
5. Adaptive Employees are valued
If as an employee, you are receptive to changes and are constantly showing eagerness to learn, grow, and evolve yourself according to the need of time, you will be valued. And by valued we mean you will go far towards the hierarchy of your company.
Adaptive employees are more likely to be promoted, appreciated, and therefore given good designations and salaries.
➸ The pandemic gave Everyonethe needed push to become adaptable to the online working situation.
➸ Be able to deal with difficult working conditions. Again an example is of the covid-19 pandemic
➸ Approach new methods to deal with tasks
➸ Always be a good listener and look through other people's views.
➸ Be confident and positive when dealing with people
➸ Be Innovative when solving problems
➸ Stay focused on the task and complete your projects even if you are going through a pandemic situation or any other difficult situation.
Flexibility refers to the employees understanding of what is happening around them and then quickly adjust to the changes and carry on with their tasks and responsibilities.
The following elements will make you understand the importance of flexibility inthe workplace.
1. Open to Trends on social media or otherwise. An employee should be able to adapt to the trends taking place in their industry. For example, new software to connect with an employee or video content to participate in for the brand of the company, etc.
2. Acceptance to change. A few employees can be a bit rigid in accepting changes and therefore it will take the time to adapt. Flexible employees not only accept the changes physically but also mentally. And this matters a lot to the employers.
3. Adjusting to change. If the employees are open to new trends and accept the changes with full force, it's also easy for them to adjust to the changes pretty quickly. Because if the employees are mentally fighting the changes, they will be reluctant in accepting them as well.
For example, if you are offering legal translation services in Dubai, but due to the pandemic, you have to switch your communication to online software your employees are more likely able to adjust to the change if they accept the fact that they have to do it.
4. Employees should be proficient in problem solve and negotiation if they are flexible. Flexible employees are able to more effectively solve problems and negotiate their way out of situations fairly easily.
5. Flexibility allows open communication, acknowledgment, and learning. When you are a flexible employee you are able to communicate easily and listen to people as well. This makes you considerate and will also help you learn and grow yourself by learning from others. Because if you are rigid, and do not have a listening ear, you never know you might miss out on great ideas and suggestions. Flexible employees are also able to acknowledge their colleagues for their ideas etc.
6. Flexibility in Working Conditions. Workplace flexibility may require you to work from remote areas, or at odd timings or different locations, etc. Take the example of the pandemic, God knows who is working from where? But all are doing so to make things work.
7. Flexibility allows you to become Creative. A flexible employee is able to work more creatively than others. It allows you to come with more productive and innovative ideas and therefore introduce new approaches you might use to work at your company.
8. Flexible Working conditions will become easier for you if you are flexible. The pandemic made us all work in flexible conditions and those who were able to stay productive even in these conditions were able to pull through and become valuable and resourceful to their companies.
9. Flexible nature shows confidence. If you are flexible, it shows you are confident and can overcome any change.
The following tips and tricks will help you become flexible in working situations.
➸ Understand the situation if it requires you to adapt to it.
➸ Try different working measures to adapt to the situation.
➸ Always look at the bigger picture.
➸ Practice emotional intelligence
Understand that being flexible in different situations will make you more productive and valuable to your workplace.
Arslan Haider is author of the above blog. He has done his Bachelor in Computer Science from University of Wah. He is a professional Guest Blogger at Mediahicon and loves to write blogs on valuable topics.
You must be logged in to post a comment.