Dynamic professional with a proven track record of dramatically increasing quality, level, and experience of medical care for patients, families, staff, and communities via a holistic, systematic, and results-focused approach. Adept at creating centers of operational and service excellence, spearheading high-impact strategies, plans, and initiatives. Expands offerings and opportunities, developing customer-centric programs and multidisciplinary powerhouses. Maximizes efficiency and organizational cohesion, driving collaboration on mutually satisfying missions and goals. Amplifies support and involvement, forging influential relationships with key public, legislative, and media entities. Builds, motivates, and directs best-in-class teams, providing training, development, and leadership by example.
-University of Maryland Medical System-
Vice President Patient Experience
Jul 2017 – Present
Developed a strategy to create a culture of excellence to enhance the delivery of exceptional patient experiences. Tactics included validation of behavior expectations through rounding and development of experience infrastructure.
Senior Director, Office of Patient Experience
Jun 2014 – Jul 2017
Spearheaded strategic planning and execution to build a best-in-class regional patient experience, leveraging metrics and analysis to understand and influence core drivers shaping the quality of care and patient response. Effectively utilized CAHPS surveys, consumer research, patient experience surveys, and other tools to identify and eliminate the root cause of grievances across all upper-tier patient services. Provided insights and training to staff and physicians to optimize the patient experience and improve outcomes. Foster adoption of best practices and standards. Implemented and maintained a comprehensive reporting system.
-Saint Agnes Medical Center-
Service Excellence Director
Jan 2013 – Jun 2014
Led, designed, and implemented initiatives to establish foundation for progressive improvement in patient experience initiatives. Garnered support from board members, senior leadership and clinical/ancillary leaders to effect improvements in patient and family experience including redesigning processes and environmental enhancements.
• Increased patient experience results from <50th percentile to 70th percentile in 12 months, developing and delivering service training, assessing and modifying internal customer service processes, benchmarking, reporting and tracking, and developing tactics to improve overall patient and family experience.
• Developed and oversaw customer complaint management and service recovery programs.
Service Excellence Director
Jan 2004 – Jan 2011
Formulated, developed, led, oversaw, and continually enhanced comprehensive approach to maximizing patient experiences and service excellence in 2 facilities. Designed and launched facility-specific and systematic team strategies, tactics, and evidence-based practices and programs focused on best-in-class service, staff recognition and rewards, and holistic healing environment. Trained and motivated staff and volunteers. Partnered with medical staff and physician leadership to establish benchmarks and relationship improvement strategies. Served as patient/family advocate as leader of numerous focus groups. Acted as key contributor to cross-functional facility and system teams.
• Led Banner Heart Hospital to achieve and maintain 90% HCAHPS patient experience performance since 2005 including ranking as Thomson-Reuters’ Top 100 Hospital for 2 consecutive years.
• Increased BBMC’s patient experience from 30% to 70% regarding care and likelihood to recommend within 1st year of adopting oversight of service excellence and patient relations in 2007.
• Achieved and maintained 90% employee engagement results for both facilities, providing dedicated management of service excellence, patient relations, spiritual care staff, and volunteers.
• Championed highly successful patient- and staff-centered initiatives such as Life Stories, Partners in Caring, ACE Employee Recognition Plan, Patient Advisory Council, Volunteer Chaplaincy Program, and Bright Ideas Program.
• Drove ongoing improvements in system level governance of patient experiences and relations including chairing Data and Survey Analytics, Voice of Customer, Survey Vendor Selection, and multiple key teams and task forces