I’m a dynamic, results driven self-starter with 15+ years of experience in public relations, marketing, internal communications and customer service.
Strategic in thought and tactical in delivery, I’ve gained a wealth of experience helping organisations in various sectors to enhance their employer brand advocacy by connecting their workforce with their purpose, vision, mission and values.
I’m extremely passionate about and inspired by people. After all, we’re human beings not human resources. I'm also motivated by wanting to make a positive difference to my fellow colleagues’ working lives. With that said, building relationships at all levels and constantly putting myself in other people's shoes is crucial to designing an impactful communications framework.
In addition to research, creativity and innovation underpinning the work I deliver, I specialise in but am not limited to the following areas:
• Strategy and planning
• Employee experience
• Employee engagement (including analytics)
• Digital communications (including social media)
• Change Management
• Project Management
• Storytelling (author of an online fiction series)
• Culture change
• Leadership coaching
• Event management
A certified bookworm and avid learner in my spare time, Kindle and futurelearn.com have got to be two of the greatest inventions ever made!
Global Communications Adviser - Shipping & Maritime
Jul 2018 – Present
-Transport for London-
Employee Communications and Engagement (interim contract)
Jul 2017 – Jun 2018
An integrated transport authority with nearly 30,000 employees responsible for running the day-to-day operation of the London’s public transport network and, managing the Capital’s main roads.
• Working in a team of seven to help deliver employee communications to 4,000 Surface Transport employees. Taking on Business Partner activities as the directorate undergoes a transformation
• Advising on, designing and rolling out employee engagement initiatives in response to recent staff survey results, the updated Mayor’s Transport Strategy and the business performance scorecard
• Business Partner for London River Services: Helping to enhance their visibility within TfL and increase passenger journey numbers
• Social collaboration platform specialist: Working with the digital communications team to increase the number of Yammer users and engagement levels with the Surface Transport directorate
• Providing strategic advice to different business areas about the best channels for communicating and engaging with their audiences
• Producing channel analytics reports (including a periodic Yammer engagement dashboard report for the Surface Directors) and reviewing the statistics to inform the way in which we communicate with employees and impact on business results
• Event Management: Coordinating the logistics for leadership and specialist insight sessions. Analysing the impact of the current insight sessions structure and giving a recommendation for the structure post-transformation. Managing the Sli.do platform at various meetings across the directorate
• Working with the Head of department to deliver the Mayor’s Transport Strategy to our internal audiences
• Channel Management: Producing weekly newsletters, designing posters, writing and publishing intranet articles, creating digital signage and publishing leadership messages on the Poppulo (formerly Newsweaver) email platform
Interim Group Communications Channel Coordinator and Planner
May 2016 – May 2017
With over 7000 employees and a leading global provider of modular, mobile power and adjacent product solutions, I joined Aggreko on an interim basis to help develop and manage the employee communications channels.
As Aggreko did not have a globally established communications infrastructure prior to our arrival, our small team put all hands to deck and joined the dots across the business. With this in mind my role evolved to also being a Group Functions Business Partner, Employee Engagement Lead, Newsletter Editor, Content Manager, Business Transformation Project Manager and Culture Change Coach. This postition allowed me to work across a dynamic range of disciplines including internal communications and employee engagement, brand and marketing, digital and creative services in a fast pace environment.
In just under a year, the results of the team's dedication and collaboration has seen the communications function move from the edge of the matrix organisation towards the heart of it, proving our strategic value.
For our team’s work with creative agency, HOME in delivering Aggreko’s new purpose and values, we are shortlisted in CEB’s ‘Building a Powerful Corporate Brand’ award category and won Highly Commended. We are also shortlisted in the Institute of Internal Communication 2017's 'Best change communication' and 'Best ongoing campaign' categories for our work on embedding the new 'Always Orange' culture.
Feb 2016 – May 2016
-Abellio Greater Anglia-
Internal Communications Executive
Aug 2015 – Jan 2016
Working closely with the Head of Internal Communications to support the internal communications strategy by developing accurate and timely communications tools for all stakeholders.
The role also included ensuring that employees were kept up to date about Abellio Greater Anglia via the annual management conference, regular team briefs, directors' roadshow, team specific meetings, special updates, various business related projects and internal publications. I was very passionate about championing 'storytelling' as an effective communications tool and managed the implementation of high profile internal campaigns such as 'The Face of AGA'.
-Financial Services Compensation Scheme-
Communications Assistant (with an Internal Comms focus)
2009 – Aug 2015
I helped to deliver the company's internal communication strategy to increase colleague understanding, collaboration and participation.
Tasks included building the internal brand by project managing and marketing various employee focused campaigns across the organisation. I was also the staff intranet manager and chief editor of the staff quarterly newsletter. Other duties included working with public relations and media agencies, producing press releases and case studies, answering journalist queries, designing communications material, scheduling meetings and managing the Communications department budget.
Payments Admin Assistant
Sep 2004 – Sep 2009
Providing adminstrative support to the Payments manager and the rest of the team as required.
Fresh Foods Partner (part-time)
Aug 2008 – Mar 2015
Delivering excellent customer service by working flexibly as part of a team
•Advising and serving customers,
•Ensuring that fresh stock is replenished and displayed to required standards
•Carrying out housekeeping activities
This part-time role gave me vast exposure to the mechanics involved in being part of a 60,000+ work force. This position has allowed me to hone my customer service skills and gain frontline employee experience. It was also during this time I gained a thorough insight into how the John Lewis Partnership delivers both its external and internal communications as well as employee engagement, which has been invaluable to my career development.
-Uproar Communications Ltd-
PR and Marketing Executive (unpaid work experience)
Jul 2007 – Sep 2007
Providing PR and marketing based assistance for an award winning drinks, fashion and youth lifestyle PR agency.
In-House Staff Writer (unpaid work experience)
Researching material for feature articles, transcribing interviews, writing editorials and attending magazine related functions.
-Barlow Lyde & Gilbert-
Admin / Secretarial Assistant
Assisting with various aspects of administrative management and general office support
-Clyde & Co LLP-
Company Searches Coordinator
Jan 2003 – Feb 2004
Liaising with clients, partners and case handlers in regards to any company searches required. Providing advice about the information available for limited companies and individuals.
-Media Edge CIA (media buying and planning agency)-
Media Payables Clerk Assistant
Sep 2002 – Oct 2002
-The Voice Newspaper-
Editorial and Admin Assistant (unpaid work experience)
Jul 2002 – Aug 2002
Researching material for forthcoming newspaper articles and transcribing interviews.