Director, Senior Manager, Employee Benefits
Connect with me using: ►►► firstname.lastname@example.org ◄◄◄
All Invitations to Connect Welcome, LION – LinkedIn Open Networker
Recruiters, HR Managers, Hiring Managers connect with me to get access to my network deep in industry leadership.
Senior benefits professional with expertise in design, analysis and implementation of employee health & welfare benefit plans for mid-size and large companies with the most recent being a leading global Human Resources (HR) services provider offering innovative HR business solutions through HR Technology, HR Outsourcing (HRO/HR BPO), and HR Consulting; employing 2,000 associates in U.S. & Canada; and an additional 6,500 associates world-wide. Led the employee benefits function through significant organizational transition resulting from a major acquisition. Strong financial acumen and significant experience in the budget management process. Results-driven manager with heavy vendor selection experience -- from “RFP to implementation”.
To brainstorm and collaborate on any of these perspectives, contact me at email@example.com.
Specialties: Benefit Plan Analysis & Re-design, M&A, Vendor Selection Process, Vendor Management & Performance Metric Development, Project Management
Senior Account Manager
Apr 2017 – Present
-Employee Benefits Leadership, Greater Atlanta Area-
Founder | Director, Senior Manager, Employee Benefits
Oct 2016 – Apr 2017
Attending Networking Events
Researching Industry Leaders
Tracking Industry Trends
Participating in Industry Discussions
-NGA Human Resources-
Senior Manager Benefits | Employee Benefits
Jun 2010 – Sep 2016
Senior Manager Benefits & Compensation
Led the North American benefits integration initiative as a result of a corporate acquisition. Designed and implemented new health and retirement plans in US & Canada that served to support the "new" corporate environment, meet organizational objectives and exceed financial targets.
• Design, implement, communicate, and oversee administration of Corporate Health and Retirement Plans for North America.
• Develop and implement policies, plans and programs to assure the most effective utilization of programs and services to support business strategies within each respective region.
• Drive benefits program to ensure appropriate and proactive development and maintenance, including strategy development, vendor relationship management, and assurance of cost effective, quality plan performance.
• Proactively monitor utilization data for all benefit, employee health and wellness programs and makes ongoing recommendations based on analysis of data.
• Strategically monitor the competitive trends and effectiveness of benefit plans and recommend changes to optimize impact and cost.
• Establish and maintain $7.5 million NA benefits budget based upon region, headcount, claims experience, and year-over-year expense data. First year plan design changes (2011-2012) yielded $2 million reduction in cost thru plan offering, design and employee cost-share changes.
• Design benefits communications to increase perceived value of programs and ensure employee engagement.
• Manage transition from traditional benefits support model to Benefits Process Outsourcing (BPO) model while establishing and nurturing relationships with those providing administrative support in the areas of retirement, health/welfare and other ancillary services within the BPO environment.
-United Industries/Spectrum Brands, Inc.-
Senior Manager Benefits | Employee Benefits
Mar 2008 – Feb 2010
Senior Manager, Benefits & Compensation
Transitioned employee benefits function from parent company. Build benefits department, establish budget, processes, and policies as a stand-alone division.
• Supervised two direct reports and provided guidance to six HR partners supporting 1,300 employees in the administration of self-insured health & welfare, and retirement plans in a combined labor environment.
• Contract re-negotiations resulting in cost avoidance in the amount of 3% of annual budget over a two-year period.
• Established and maintained $8 million human resources budget based upon headcount, claims experience, and year-over-year expense data. First year plan design changes yielded $1.1 million reduction in cost thru plan design changes, employee cost-share changes, and the implementation of a tobacco cessation program. Second year plan design changes and labor negotiations resulted in projected $500K in savings due to implementation of spousal carve-out & increased employee cost share for union employees.
• Coached executives to invest in wellness and approve long term strategy to begin with communications to increase awareness of employer cost in addition to of wellness components in plan design and healthy-lifestyle incentives.
• Led vendor reviews and RFP process in selection of Benefits Broker. Resulting in strong brokerage relationship, accurate and timely reporting and an increase in overall customer satisfaction.
• Performed quarterly document reviews to mitigate compliance risks related to recent changes to ERISA, HIPAA and DOL regulations.
• Provided M&A data room documentation and reporting in preparation of potential sale
• Managed corporate sponsored, 401(k)/defined contribution plan on a divisional level
• Performed compensation analysis to include benchmark comparison.
• Managed the job description review process and implemented standard format.
Senior Manager, Benefits Administration | Employee Benefits
May 2005 – Feb 2008
Senior Manager, Benefits Administration
Managed staff of two in the administration of employee Health & Welfare programs with 64,000 active participants in a combined labor environment. Monitored a budget of $42 million. Served as Health & Welfare Vendor Relationship Manager. Coordinated the collection of data room documentation & reporting in preparation of merger & acquisition.
• Conducted RFP and vendor selection in medical claims audit. Audit resulted in return of $80K due to claims processing and subrogation errors.
• Managed RFP process, vendor selection, and implementation of an on-site clinic.
• Researched & implemented a Health Advocacy Program in lieu of a Disease Management Program due to significant increase in number of employees serviced.
• Developed and monitored implementation of a Wellness Program to include Health Fairs, Screenings, Weight Management Programs, and healthy activity competitions. Initiative led to increase in employee morale and cross-facility interaction through the competitive wellness activities.
• Facilitated implementation of re-branded Total Rewards communication campaign.
• Reviewed all Executive Level appeals and made final decision assessing financial exposure, precedent, and employee impact of potential claim rejections.
• Provided quarterly executive reporting.
• Led benefits integration project as a result of AT&T Wireless acquisition.
-Avail Professional Talent Solutions-
Nov 2004 – May 2005
Subject Matter Expert for Medical, Vision, Prescription Drug Plans
• Responsible for the day-to-day administration of various Health & Welfare plans
• Served as vendor liaison to include TPA
• Performed reviews and updates of Summary Plan Descriptions in keeping with the set standards of ERISA, HIPAA and DOL regulations
• Assisted employees with plan appeals
-RTM, Inc. (Arby's)-
Director of Benefits
Sep 2001 – Sep 2002
Supervised staff in the administration of employee benefits programs with 15,000 active participants. Supported and guided the benefits team in performing administrative responsibilities.
• Managed electronic benefits enrollment outsourcing process for 3,500 eligible employees
• Facilitated administration of an Indemnity, PPO, and HMO Health Plan to include claims issue resolution
• Negotiated vendor premiums and performance guarantee penalties
• Developed all communications material for Health, Welfare and Retirement Plans
• Created an employee handbook
• Conducted benefits analysis for acquisitions
• Performed internal administration of a 401(k)/defined contribution plan with $2.8 million in assets
• Managed annual 401(k) Plan Audit
• Performed reviews and updates of Summary Plan Descriptions to mitigate compliance risks related to ERISA, HIPAA and DOL regulations
-Harper Collins Publishers, Inc.-
Manager, Benefits & Compensation
Sep 1996 – Feb 2001
Administered a divisional comprehensive medical plan with 1,500 active participants; as well as, one non-qualified & two qualified retirement plans on the corporate level, with 4,000 active participants and assets exceeding $180 million. Hands-on administration of benefits in a combined-labor environment (union & non-union) as primary employee benefits counselor.
- Facilitated RFP process, benefits integration and new plan implementation based on corporate acquisitions
- Developed communications regarding plan changes and enhancements & supervised the distribution to employees
- Plan Document & SPD review in accordance with IRC and ERISA regulations.
- Analyzed plan design in collaboration with trustee, actuaries, and legal counsel, & proposed changes
- Conducted exit meetings with terminated employees to discuss retirement plan options, provided ERISA mandated document, and authorized distributions
Health & Welfare Plans
- Managed indemnity, point of service, and HMO plans, and negotiated annual premiums with vendors for active & retired employees
- Reviewed and analyzed annual benefits allocation and monitored costs quarterly for budget re-forecasting purposes
- Prepared and filed annual IRS Forms 5500 forms and SARs
- Evaluated plan enhancements to assure competitive pricing and maintain service for employees
- Counseled employees on benefits eligibility and leaves
- Conducted exit meetings with employees to provide understanding of COBRA and life insurance portability
- Performed reviews of Plan Documents & SPDs for purposes of uniformity
- Administered base pay program, assuring compliance and equitable application
- Assisted in development and administration of incentive and bonus plans
- Compared performance evaluations with merit ratings to determine appropriate wage increases