I am a versatile People leader with both broad and deep experience building world-class teams that help companies scale and succeed. I lead People functions (spanning recruiting, HR ops, HR business partnership, employee relations, learning & development, diversity & inclusion, internal comms, workplace & facilities, and events) that cultivate industry-leading work environments, drive strong business results, and fuel excellent employer brands. I have extensive experience building programs, processes, frameworks, and cultures that attract, motivate, and retain top talent, and have consistently been a strategic and trusted People partner and advisor to senior org leaders. My past life as a business operations leader has also equipped me with an unique ability to align people strategies and practices with business outcomes.
I have a passion for coaching and developing talent, and building inclusive workplaces where employees are engaged and productive. I am equally comfortable being the first person on the ground wearing 20 hats on my own, and managing large teams that span multiple functions and locations. I can influence and build strong rapport with people across all levels of an organization, from exec to manager to new grad.
I take a data-driven approach toward everything I do, and possess both the analytical mindset and the technical know-how (Excel, SQL, Tableau, as well as social research methods such as surveys, interviews, and ethnography) to surface meaningful insights that drive impact. I have a strong bias toward action and thrive in fast-changing, fast-paced environments.
Head of People
Feb 2020 – Present
Director of Employee Experience / Employee Success
Feb 2018 – Feb 2020
I oversee people ops functions encompassing HR, L&D, D&I, Workplace, and internal comms, and provide thought leadership and execution partnership to business leaders on people strategies and issues.
I lead a team responsible for:
• HR operations (onboarding & offboarding, compensation, equity, benefits & perks, policies & procedures, compliance, HRIS, etc.)
• HRBP responsibilities (org design, career pathing, employee relations, people analytics and insights, team-specific people strategies and initiatives, etc.)
• People programs (ramp-up, learning & development, goals & feedback, diversity & inclusion, etc.)
• Office & facilities
• Company-wide meetings, offsites, & events
• Internal communications
• Cultivating an industry-leading culture!
As the Employee Experience / Employee Success team, we serve as Lever's strategic internal partners, ensuring that all employees have the space, skills, support, and physical and psychological safety that enable them to do their best work and own their own growth.
Helped company get named as the #1 Best Place to Work in the Bay Area by the San Francisco Business Times, and a best place to work overall as well as specifically for women by Fortune and Great Places to Work.
People Programs Manager & People Partner
2016 – 2018
Oversaw learning & development, goals & feedback, and other strategic people initiatives that drive employee engagement, performance, and development across the company and on specific teams. My role had two main parts:
Led company-wide people programs.
• Designed, implemented, and managed company-wide programs - in areas including manager development, goal-setting & performance management, recognition, onboarding, career development, skill development, and inclusion. Worked with leaders across the org to customize programs for their teams as relevant.
• Worked with team to create integrated PeopleOps roadmap, and develop & communicate org-wide talent philosophy.
• Designed & facilitated trainings - on topics including people management fundamentals, giving & receiving feedback, running effective meetings, & cultivating inclusive team environments; delivered some of these trainings myself, partnered with internal and external experts to deliver other trainings.
• Provided 1:1 & group coaching for people ranging from entry-level to C-level - on topics including people management, team engagement, change management, & employee relations.
• People analytics: collected, analyzed, and told powerful stories with data to inform priorities, improve initiatives, & influence behaviors.
Supported specific functions in HRBP capacity.
• Guided & supported leaders on the strategy, design, & execution of relevant HR/talent initiatives on their teams - in areas including org structures, career pathways, comp & promotions, learning & development, and team engagement.
• Helped functions align their people approach with their business needs.
• Guided managers through underperformance management cases.
• Partnered with team leaders to collect, analyze, & act on employee feedback effectively.
Helped company get named as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area by the San Francisco Business Times, and as a top career-launching company by Wealthfront.
2013 – 2016
REGIONAL DIRECTOR (Sep 2014 – Mar 2016)
• Oversaw the launch, growth, and general management of General Assembly's Chicago market. Managed P&L and owned full suite of metrics, including user acquisition, revenue, profit, student satisfaction, and graduate job placements.
• Built a multi-layer team from scratch, consisting of roles spanning marketing, BD, sales, operations, career services, customer support, and facilities. Directly managed the team, with a focus on recruiting and hiring, onboarding and training, coaching and developing employees, and managing performance and engagement. Attained an employee NPS score that was twice as high as the company average.
• Consistently attained some of the highest student satisfaction ratings in the whole company.
• Expanded General Assembly's footprint in the Chicago area. Acted as the face of the company in the local community. Cultivated strategic partnerships in tech, design, and business. Expanded local community to ~35K people within the first year.
EDUCATION PROGRAMS MANAGER (Nov 2013 – Oct 2014)
• Oversaw strategic direction and day-to-day operations of all full-time and part-time education programs in San Francisco, which helped adults learn (and get jobs with) technical, design, and business skills.
• Built and managed a cross-functional team, including both individual contributors and people who were managers themselves. Oversaw hiring, onboarding, training, development, and performance management.
• Worked with team and HQ to design and implement initiatives that improved staff retention and performance, operational efficiency, product quality, and user satisfaction.
EDUCATION PROGRAMS PRODUCER (Aug 2013 – Feb 2014)
• Managed all aspects of an intensive coding bootcamp.
• Hired, trained, and managed instructional teams.
• Partnered with instructional and operational staff to select program participants, design effective curriculums, track learning progress, and cultivate great student experiences
Launcher / Community Manager
Expanded Uber's operations to new markets.
• Launched Uber’s operations in new cities — from nonexistence to being a fully operational business with quickly increasing revenue — within weeks.
• Grew user base through creative marketing initiatives. Developed partnerships and co-marketing promotions with local businesses, influencers, and events, to drive new user signups and further engage existing users. Generated and managed press coverage.
• Recruited, trained, and managed relationships with drivers to ensure top-quality supply for Uber's launch.
• Researched local city regulations, market opportunities, and transportation pain points to inform launch and growth strategy.
• Provided customer support; resolved support tickets submitted by drivers and customers.
Global Education Programs Manager
2010 – 2013
GLOBAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS MANAGER (Jul 2011–Mar 2013)
• Spearheaded the expansion of Wikipedia education programs from one country (1,000+ participants) to five countries (4,000+ participants) within one year. Managed program growth, participant satisfaction, and community engagement.
• Oversaw a hybrid online-offline community consisting of hundreds of people spanning four continents. Developed online and offline resources that helped community members connect, learn, and succeed.
• Coached local leadership teams, to make sure they were fully equipped to successfully manage their own geography's operations and communities. Led the ideation, execution, and iteration of new regional leadership structures and roles.
• Provided consultation on program strategy and management to leaders in the Middle East, Europe, Latin America, and Asia. Helped spin off the U.S. program into a separate, self-sustaining nonprofit organization.
• Developed strategic partnerships with universities, professional associations, and Wikimedia chapters in multiple countries.
• Led interactive presentations and workshops at numerous conferences, training sessions, and invited speaking events around the world.
CAMPUS TEAM COORDINATOR (Aug 2010–Jul 2011)
• Worked with small team to strategize and pilot a highly successful national (now global) program that partners with university professors and volunteers to incorporate Wikipedia into classes as an innovative teaching tool.
• Led program operations. Directly responsible for program launch, growth, and quality, and participant satisfaction and retention.
• Recruited professors from 20+ universities and almost 50 classes (consisting of 800+ students) to participate in program in the span of one year (more than 3x the original goals).
• Built, trained, and led teams of country-wide volunteers ("Wikipedia Ambassadors") who taught students how to edit Wikipedia.
-Robert & Colleen Haas Scholars Program-
Independent Researcher - organizational behaviors
2009 – 2010
Used ethnography (participant observation) and in-depth interviews to explore how a global technology retail company drove employee happiness through training and management techniques, external and internal branding, and spatial design.
• Conducted two months of participant observation (ethnographic) fieldwork; recruited and interviewed 20+ employees; coded and analyzed 100 pages of ethnographic fieldnotes and 20+ hours of interviews; managed a $12,000 research grant.
• Presented research findings at relevant conferences.
-Dean's Team (Facilitation Training Certification Series)-
Co-Facilitator / Trainer
2009 – 2010
Trained approximately 30 team leaders on group facilitation, team development, and conflict resolution skills.
• Designed and led two 4-week series of interactive workshops on leadership, facilitation, team- building, communication, and conflict resolution skills.
• Ran team-building activities for other organizations on campus to build up their leadership capacity and group effectiveness.
2007 – 2009
Mentored large number of customers on how Apple products can fit (or not fit) their needs.
• Led public and 1-to-1 workshops on how to use Apple hardware and software.
• Advised customers on utilizing technology for personal and business purposes.
• Topped sales ranking repeatedly in store in southern California.