Lorenzo loves storytelling and engaging people through words and images. It has been his lifelong pursuit and passion.
With more than 25 years of experience, he has led many marketing, intranet, communications and employee engagement initiatives during his career. His work has involved collaborating with executive management, sales, marketing, communications and creative teams to develop and deliver effective content and engagement.
His areas of expertise include employee engagement; digital media content creation and management; social intranet development and management; intranet training and education program development; corporate internal communications; media channel management; change management communications; quantitative communication metrics; senior leadership counsel; HR communications; internal branding; illustration design; contract negotiation; website and intranet page design; as well as event and meeting development and management.
Photographer & Author
As an author, a writer and an award-winning street photographer, Lorenzo has written numerous books, interviews and articles about fine art and photography. His book, 25 Lessons I’ve Learned about photography...Life! was the #1 bestselling photo essay and artist memoir on Amazon.com from 2010-2012. Paul Giguere, photography podcast guru considers 25 Lessons one of the "classic" essays on photography. In 2012, Lorenzo had 25K followers across social media, as well as edited and published a new edition of Jacob Riis's How The Other Half Lives, considered one of the most important works in American history and a staple in many college courses. Lorenzo served as the NYC photography adviser for Microsoft in 2010 and he was the HP Be Brilliant Featured Artist in 2008. He has been called an "Internet photography sensation" by Time Out New York and is considered a "Flickr star" by Rob Walker, Consumed columnist, for New York Times Magazine. His work is represented worldwide by Getty Images.
-New York Life Insurance Company-
Employee Engagement & Advocacy Manager
Jun 2018 – Present
Employee Engagement & Advocacy
Apr 2018 – Present
• Support the delivery, implementation, and adoption of the Employee Advocacy program, working to create a cohort of employee brand ambassadors that will help promote the NYL brand, internally and externally.
• Responsible for all reporting and metrics of the program, providing regular updates and recommendations for where there are areas of opportunity to increase adoption and engagement.
• Deliver and support training for the Employee Advocacy Program, including for the LinkedIn Elevate platform.
• Partner with Corporate Content Strategy team to implement and maintain a content curation process.
• Partner with the Digital and Intranet Strategy and Communications Business Partners teams to develop tools and resources to increase usage and adoption of The Square among employees and leaders.
• Act as consultant to employee resource groups and other employee-led engagement groups to help them generate awareness and promotion of their messages, strategies, and events. Ensure each group has the tools they need to own the process of marketing their areas on their own.
• Partnering with Communications Business Partners, develop strategies on how to increase traffic to Explore New York Life and make recommendations on how to maximize effectiveness of the space.
• Support efforts to promote New York Life’s employer brand, partnering with Talent Acquisition, Office of Diversity & Inclusion, Corporate Social Media team, and other internal partners, to establish the company as an “employer of choice” externally.
Manager, Communications & Corporate Marketing Intranet
Aug 2016 – Present
Management and development of the Communications & Corporate Marketing departmental intranet spaces and groups.Establish best practices and standards for intranet community managers across the enterprise.
Corporate Communications, Senior Writer, Employee Engagement Leader
Nov 1999 – Present
• Work with communications and business partners across the enterprise to develop and execute strategy for increasing employee engagement through Jive intranet and social business channels for 9,000 employees across 180 offices countrywide.
• Develop branded content that drives corporate messaging about talent development, organizational transformation, innovation, culture change, diversity, leadership, customer experience and service, cultural and target marketing and company strategy. Conduct employee and executive interviews for stories that convey business goals and values, and increase employee engagement.
• Help develop and deliver executive thought leadership content.
• Serve as the primary copywriter for enterprise technology communications including change and update application and systems management. Previously chief writer for technology department for 12 years, prior to reorganization in 2012.
• Primary photographer and videographer for the editorial group. Responsible for developing standards for employee video interview series.
• Create articles, advice and value-added content focusing on retirement, estate planning, financial management, insurance and investment products and strategies for prospective and current customers for public-facing website. Create copy for social media properties.
• Take leadership and communications strategy roles in all the company’s employee resource groups, including the Asian, African-American, Disability, Latino, LGBT, Veteran, and Women’s groups.
Formerly Chief Writer, Director Communications & Marketing Strategy, Information Technology Department
-Think With Google Advisory Council-
Aug 2017 – Present
The Council consists of 333 marketing and communications professionals who participate in a community dealing with similar digital engagement strategy issues, receive counsel and case studies from Google, as well as get "a front-row seat to our process and planning at Think with Google," which includes "Q&A opportunities, exclusive content and perspectives from Google leaders that only shared with the Council."
Photographer & Writer
Dec 1982 – Present
#1 bestselling photo essay on Amazon.com from 2008-2012.
25 Lessons I've Learned About Photography
2008 HP Be Brilliant Featured Artist:
Author, 25 Lessons I've Learned About Photography...Life, #1 Bestselling essay on Amazon, 2010-2012
Apr 2008 – Jun 2018
25 Lessons is the #1 best selling photo essay on amazon.com for 2010, 2011 and 2012.
National Fine Arts & NYC Photography Examiner
Mar 2009 – Dec 2011
As the Photography Examiner for New York for the Examiner.com, Lorenzo chronicles what’s up, what’s new and what’s notable in the world of photography in New York City
Director, Telecommunications and Information Technology
Jan 1998 – Nov 1999
Responsible for research and development of executive business conferences in the area of emerging technologies, telecommunications, information systems, Internet and multi-media technology industries. Development required daily direct correspondence and in-depth interviews of Fortune 1000 executives. Duties also required production of new product lines including large-scale multi-track events with nine-month production schedules, budgets of a quarter of a million and projected revenue of one to three million per event, the coordination of a dozen administrative staff members, and the motivation of and lead generation for the sales forces for each conference.
First year gross revenue from four three-day events: $1.5 million. An additional $4 million was generated by The eBusiness Summit, which I conceptualized, branded and developed.
-Foreign Policy Association-
Public Affairs Manager, Associate Director of Development, Assistant Director of Meetings
Jun 1994 – Dec 1997
Public Affairs Manager
Official organizational spokesperson and liaison with the national and local news media. Placement of executive op-editorial; paid and pro-bono advertisements. Organization of media panel discussions with major news agencies. Production and distribution of all promotional materials. Management of editorial calendars, tracking news articles, and work on writing projects.
Associate Director of Development
Engendered foundation and corporate funding via research; grant proposal writing, presentations and corresponding with the private and public sectors.
Assistant Director of Meetings
Developed and implemented lectures and seminars, including luncheons and black-tie fundraising dinners. Served as one of the primary liaisons between the diplomatic, NGO and international affairs community and FPA’s membership.